Basically we may find hainan chicken rice in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Philippine. It is most commonly with Hainanese, Malaysian, and Singaporean Cuisine. According to Wikipedia,it is based well-known Hainanense dish called wenchang chicken (文昌雞) , due to its roots in Hainan cuisine and its adoption by the Hainanese overseas chinese population in the Nanyang area. Hainanese chicken also appears as a specialty in Vietnamese Cuisine.
Hainanese Chicken Rice (serve 1 – 2 pax)
Preparation Time: 30 – 35 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 – 1 1/2 hours
For the rice
1. 1 cup uncooked washed rice
2. 1 onions
3. 1 garlic
4. A little bit dry shrimp
5. 1 tea spoon of sesame oil
6. 2 tea spoon of oyster sauce
7. 2 tea spoon of soya sauce
8. 1 glass of water
For the chicken
1. 3/4 part of chicken
2. 1 tea spoon of sesame oil
3. 1 tea spoon of soya sauce
4. 3 glass of water
5. 1 tsp of salt
For the Chilly sauce
1. 2 tsp garlic
2. 2 tsp of soya sauce
3. 3 tsp red chilly
Instruction for the chicken:
1. Wash chicken and drain well. Using 1 tsp of salt as scrub, rub the salt all over the chicken for smooth looking skin.
2. Add in 3 glass of water in to pan and boil the chicken ( make sure enough to cover the chicken). Boiled the chicken arround 35 – 40 minutes (make sure the meat soft enough).
3. When chicken is cooked, remove chicken and plunge it into prepared cold water at once for 10 minutes.
4. Drain the chicken, and add 1 tsp of sesame oil and 2 tsp of soya sauce. serve immediately.
Instruction for the rice:
1. Wash 1 cup of uncooked rice approximately 3 times.
2. Heat up the oil, add in small part of garlic, onion, and dry shrimp. fry and stir together with uncooked rice and add in 1 tsp of sesame oil, 2 tsp of oyster sauce, and 2 tsp of soya sauce. Mixed all of them together.
3. raise the rice in to rice cooker and add in 1 glass of water. Wait the rice cooked. Serve immediately.
Instruction for the chilly sauce:
Fry garlic and red chilly together. After that add 2 tsp of soya sauce.
1. For the rice you may or may not use dry shrimp (As your preference)
2. You may or may not add egg too (All depends on you)
3. You may use ginger for chilly sauce.
4. You may add some of vegetables as you like such as bean sprouts.
- Steamed Chicken Rice (culinaryfashion.wordpress.com)